Wednesday, September 4, 2013

NOVA Open 2013: Friday Night Hunger Games

So, Friday night I played in Hunger Games. I wanted to bring a thematic fun list, and my first love in Infinity has always been for Caledonians. So the list I brought, while not "optimized" was certainly a lot of fun.

 CALEDONIAN HIGHLANDER ARMY
──────────────────────────────────────────────────
 GROUP 1 (Regular: 1/Irregular: 2):
 CATERAN Sniper Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 25)
 HIGHLANDER GREY Boarding Shotgun T2, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (28)
 CAMERONIAN 2 Chain Rifles, Grenades, Smoke Grenades / AP CCW. (22)
 0.5 SWC | 75 Points
ARMY CODE: eNozNlJVNTdVNdAzVTVSM1IzrDFWMwGSFmqGaoaqZSYAYJMGaw==

The group of us 13 players was split across two tables, which I think made the game go a heck of a lot faster. Knowing Roboute from my local game store (Victory Comics) and as he an I were both playing Scots, we decided on a temporary alliance.

I'd say the most memorable action was when, as the Yu Jing players on my side of the board were circling each other on turn one, my Cameronian came around the crates and Chain Rifled every last one of them. That made up the majority of my 168 point count by the end of the night.

It was beautiful!
 
Some player brought Cordelia and Scarface with him, and shot at me unprovoked, so I had to make a point and shoot Cordelia in the face with my Cateran, while Roboute took care of Scarface.

It was only a matter of time before Roboute would betray me, so I began to maneuver my Cateran and Grey to counter him. Unfortunately, he got off first shot, and knocked out my Cateran and, after squaring off for a few rounds, my Grey as well.

The Scots square off (the Scots Guard is on the stairs, my Grey in the foreground)
Roboute made it to the final round, against the guy who eventually won both 1st place in Hunger Games as well as Bloody Handed (most points killed, not sent unconscious). I was a little upset, hoping that I would win Bloody Handed having killed 168 points, but apparently he had a total reaction remote and a great spot from which to pick everyone else on his table, so he picked up a whopping 228 points.

Overall, I think Hunger Games ran really well on Friday night. Definitely something I would do again, with minor changes.

2 comments:

  1. I <3 Caterans. And it's real neat that 3 fit exactly in the 75|1.5 limit.

    I also thought about a Cameronian at one point.

    Just hiding him somewhere until the end and then racing to the middle when fire appears, using smoke to conceal his position.

    Then it'd just be a game of who can live longer in Fire+EXP, especially with his 2 wounds and total immunity.

    Anyways, there were some upset people with that total reaction bot, since it kicked like half our players out once guns went active (we actually didn't both differentiating unconscious vs dead on our table either, so that might have helped him in points).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think about three Caterans. Ooh, that would've been fun.

      Yeah, I was surprised to hear that your enemies had to be dead, rather than just unconscious, to count towards Bloody Handed. I wasn't sure they brought that up on the other table, but it was a sticking point at ours.

      Delete